Southern Rehab Joints in Motion Programme (JIM)
Arthritis affects 1 in 6 New Zealanders over 15 years old and is the greatest cause of disability in this country according to Arthritis New Zealand. The most common form is osteoarthritis, which can occur at any age, but symptoms usually begin after the age of 40. It can be painful, causing sore and stiff joints. In severe cases, this can even result in everyday tasks, such as dressing, becoming difficult. Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body but most commonly occurs in the hands, hips, knees, feet and spine.
For sufferers of this condition there is good news. Our expert team at Southern Rehab have developed the Joints in Motion Programme to support people with osteoarthritis and those recovering from joint operations.
Our programme can provide you with the tools to manage your pain, stay active, remain independent and improve your strength, fitness and health. It offers comprehensive rehabilitation and education, no matter your level of pain or discomfort, to get you back to doing the activities you love. Best of all, you don’t have to be on any waiting list to qualify.
When you sign up for our Joints in Motion Programme, you’ll receive the benefit of:
- An initial one-on-one consultation with one of our expert physiotherapists to assess your condition and set your rehabilitative goals.
- A fully personalised 10-week rehabilitation, exercise and education programme, fully personalised to achieve the best possible results for your condition.
- Group rehabilitation sessions twice a week at the gym, pool or in a dedicated rehabilitation clinic, led by our skilled and experienced exercise physiologists.
- A personalised home exercise programme, giving you the tools you need to improve your joint discomfort on your own.
- Evening education seminars with our resident physiotherapist, dietician and pharmacist, providing valuable insight and information on living with osteoarthritis.
- A final assessment with a physiotherapist to measure your progress and provide recommendations for the future management of your osteoarthritis.
When you’ve completed our Joints in Motion Programme, you’ll have all the skills you need to continue your rehabilitation on your own. You’ll understand how to manage your joint discomfort and be able to get back to doing the activities you love.
Whether you’re pre or post operation, signing up for this programme can help you. If you’re already on the waiting list for an operation, we’ll help you build strength and improve flexibility in your joints and muscles, leading to better recovery and vastly improved outcomes after your operation. If you’ve already had an operation, our personalised program will focus on achieving the best results for your rehabilitation and enabling you to lead the life you want.
If you’re already actively managing your osteoarthritis, we offer a one-off assessment for the price of $89. This session is suitable for those who may want to check in and receive some advice or improve their understanding of their condition.
You’ll leave the session knowing which muscles you need to strengthen and which exercises you can safely perform at the gym or at home to help with your daily activity. Your physiotherapist can also provide recommendations for suitable footwear, give dietary advice and a referral to a pharmacist for a medication review if required.
Off the back of your assessment, if you decide to enrol in Joints in Motion, the cost of the assessment will be deducted from the price of the full 10-week programme.
For more information about Joints in Motion, or to enrol, please fill in the form below, call us on
0800 800 288 (menu option 1) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You do not need to be on a waiting list for an operation to qualify for this programme, and you can also be referred by your GP.
For more information about living with osteoarthritis, visit the Arthritis New Zealand website or follow these links:
For more information about this programme and how we can help, please click through below and tell us a bit more about yourself. One of our physiotherapists will be in touch with more information about how Joints in Motion can help you get back to living your best life